If you own, operate or have control over work equipment you will have duties under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.
- What dangers does the machinery/work equipment present?
- Is equipment complete (are all safeguards fitted and free from defects)?
- Is there a safe system of work in place?
- Was the equipment installed properly and is it stable?
- Is the right machine being used for the job that is being carried out?
- Is it CE marked / declaration of conformity / instructions in English?
- Is access to dangerous parts prevented?
- Have employees been given information, instruction and training?
- Are control switches clearly marked?
- Is there an emergency stop button?
- Are operating controls designed and placed to avoid accidental operation?
- If controlled by programmable electronic systems, are all changes to programmes carried out by a competent person?
- Is the area around the machine clean, tidy and free from obstructions / slip and trip hazards and is it well lit?
- Is the equipment maintained?
- What arrangements are in place for maintenance?
- Who carries out maintenance?
- How often is maintenance carried out?
- Is there a procedure for reporting damaged / faulty equipment?
If you feel you and your business would benefit from talking to us about work equipment safety or any other aspect of health & safety management, please contact our team on 01302 341344.