From yesterday, 22 September 2014, HSE Inspectors will carry out unannounced visits to sites where refurbishment projects or repair works are underway.
Throughout the month long initiative, Inspectors will ensure high-risk activities, particularly those affecting the health of workers, are being properly managed. If unacceptable standards are found Inspectors will take immediate enforcement action.
During inspections, HSE inspectors will be checking that:
- risks to health from exposure to dust such as silica are being controlled.
- workers are aware of where they may find asbestos, and what to do if they find it
- other health risks, such as exposure to noise and vibration, manual handling, hazardous substances are being properly managed
- jobs that involve working at height have been identified and properly planned to ensure that appropriate precautions, such as proper support of structures, are in place
- equipment is correctly installed / assembled, inspected and maintained and used properly
- sites are well organised, to avoid trips and falls, walkways and stairs are free from obstructions and welfare facilities are adequate.
You can contact our Health and Safety Management Team to discuss how we can help you and your business; freeing you to do what you do best.