A true wine enthusiast understands the rewards of owning an expansive collection. The pride that goes in to nurturing a bottle, anticipating its peak age and then enjoying its flavour can be gratifying.
To protect your collection, you may consider purchasing Wine Insurance, especially if you store your collection in your own wine cellar. If you own a large, valuable array of wines, it’s wise to insure your collection in a stand-alone valuable articles policy. Alternatively you can insure your collection as part of a High Net Worth house insurance policy.
Wine Insurance policies may include the following:
- Protection against damages due to fire, theft or accidental breakage.
- Protection against label damage in a fire, flood or other natural disaster. For many rare, vintage wines, the label increases the value of the wine.
- Access to vendors who ship, buy and sell wine; vendors who store wine in another location; vendors who offer security systems for your collection and vendors offering temperature-control systems.
- Guidance for how to best store your collection, especially when building or renovating your wine cellar.
If you house a collection in your home, consider the following recommendations to reduce damage to your wine:
- Do not store chemicals, paint or odour-producing materials near your collection. These items can permeate through the cork and spoil the wine.
- Do not store wine near heaters or sunlight or in areas that are susceptible to flooding, such as beneath a lavatory or laundry room. Also avoid placing wine in areas of the home that are beneath or next to a home theatre which causes excess vibrations.
- Store wine at 13°C. The humidity in a wine storage should also be 65 to 75%. Anything above or below that amount can damage the label or cork.
- Install an alarm that warns against theft, temperature changes and moisture. When selecting an alarm, purchase one that sends a message directly to your mobile device.
- A number of insurers exclude damage caused by flood or water from a basement or cellar, unless the wine is placed on shelves or pallets at least 30 centimeters from the floor.
To learn more about our Wine Insurance contact Clare Carby on 01302 341 344.